GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
The recent release of Photoshop CS6 continues Adobe’s reign at the top of editing/design software. There is no question that Photoshop is the best image editing software program, but GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an application designers can take advantage of — without spending a penny. The latest build — GIMP (or GimpShop) 2.8.2 is the powerful Photoshop look alike that is underrated by most graphic editing software designers. Over 17 years of international collaboration and development have created the open source program (developed by volunteers). The leading-edge advanced graphic tools compete with Adobe Photoshop in terms of professional high-end photography and image manipulation.
GIMP vs. Photoshop
What sets GIMP apart? It’s price. Free. Yep. Free. The Adobe Photoshop price tag, with all of its bells and whistles, comes standard at $699. For $700 you can hold the most powerful image manipulation software. You can also hold the most powerful image manipulation software…for free. Other features, in relation to Photoshop, are similar (if not exact) in design. The file compatibility of each program is the same, boasting a broad range of file choices. Most importantly, each program is comparable world-class leading, image quality. The point of difference, if not already established with the price, is reflected by the ease of use. The GIMP help library and tutorial section have been rated higher (easier to learn) than complex Photoshop tutorials. Without a doubt, professional image editing designers, without a budget, have the ability to operate Adobe’s class-leading, high-priced, closed-source programs. For the rest of us? GIMP provides a FREE, equivalent to image editing with identical photo manipulation at our fingertips.
GIMP Product Features
The ability to restore, touch up/manipulate photos, generate complex animations, or using GIMP to substitute former “paint” programs — rivals Photoshop features, with the $700 price exception. Some of GIMP 2.8.2 features include:
- Professional photo enhancing and restoration tools to effortlessly repair image flaws. Red-eye removal, background/foreground replacement, and unwanted imperfections all within reach.
- State-of-the-art tool settings permit customization of your workspace, providing complete management over Photoshop-grade tools, brushes and plugins.
- The Channel Mixer allows for precise optimization of black & white photos, converting colors to a limitless spectrum of black & white tones.
- Importing/Exporting images via a wide range of file formats include: TIFF, PNG, GIF, JPEG — incorporating advanced multi-resolution, multi-depth Windows files as well.
- The recently expanded brush dynamics engine provides designers with unmatched control and flexibility in image manipulation.
This application is advanced in terms of graphic design and I recommend playing around with it (that’s how I learned). But for users who need the Help Files, you can download them here in English.
Available for multiple operating softwares, you have no excuse not to download your FREE copy of GIMP 2.8.2 today.
“…One of the most powerful general-purpose image editors around, the upgrades make the GNU Image Manipulation Program eminently comparable to Photoshop…The application provides professional tools that can stand against the big boys without the hefty price tag…Extremely powerful and easy to work with, GIMP is ideal for both amateur and pro photographers, Web designers, or anyone who wants to create and edit professional-quality digital images on a budget.”